Some forums I searched talked about resetting the Service Manager password via the DSCC console. What a joke! :) I can't even login, how am I able to reset password via DSCC console?
Changing password via DSCC console
There are 2 ways to resolve this issue:
1. To dismantle and initialize DSCC again
bash-3.00# ./dsccsetup dismantle
bash-3.00# ./dsccsetup initialize
Registration is on-going. Please wait...
DSCC is registered in Sun Java(TM) Web Console
DSCC agent has been successfully registered in Cacao.
Choose password for Directory Service Manager:
Confirm password for Directory Service Manager:
Creating DSCC registry...
DSCC Registry has been created successfully
Simple. But of course, previous configuration of registered servers are gone. You need to register again.
2. Change password via CLI
Some basic concepts first.
bash-3.00# ./dsccsetup status
DSCC Registry has been created
Path of DSCC registry is /var/opt/SUNWdsee/dscc6/dcc/ads
Port of DSCC registry is 3998
- DSCC configuration are stored in a LDAP database at port 3998
- Service Manager is known as cn=admin,cn=Administrators,cn=dscc in this LDAP database (see screenshot above)
- "cn=Directory Manager" credential is required to modify the Service Manager password
- The funny thing is the default password for "cn=Directory Manager" is the same as Directory Service Manager. (see dsccsetup initialize above. the steps are so simple. it assumes both to have the same password)
So we need to perform 2 steps:
Step 1 - Change the Directory Manager password
bash-3.00# /opt/SUNWdsee/ds6/bin/pwdhash -D /var/opt/SUNWdsee/dscc6/dcc/ads -s SHA password2
bash-3.00# cd /var/opt/SUNWdsee/dscc6/dcc/ads/
bash-3.00# cd /var/opt/SUNWdsee/dscc6/dcc/ads/config
bash-3.00# cp dse.ldif dse.ldif.OLD
bash-3.00# vi dse.ldif
At dn: cn=config
Step 2 - Change the Service Manager password
bash-3.00# ldapmodify -p 3998 -D "cn=Directory Manager"
Enter bind password:
userPassword: password2 <-- Rest assured. This password will be hashed during modification.
modifying entry cn=admin,cn=Administrators,cn=dscc