What is the easiest way to upgrade Sun Messaging Server with mailboxes and address books migration?
My opinion is: If customer can afford the downtime, then imsbackup/imsrestore and simple ldapsearch/ldapadd commands are the easiest.
I'm talking about corporate customers though, not ISPs definitely. The whole migration process will not take longer than 1 man-day. Sell 2 man-days if you may.
1. Set up new Sun Messaging Server
2. Stop new user creation
3. Export all users (e.g. ou=People,o=abc.com,o=isp) from old Sun Directory Server to new Directory Server
4. Export all address books (e.g. o=PiServerDB) from old Sun Directory Server to new Directory Server
5. Run imsbackup on old Sun Messaging Server
6. Stop old Sun Messaging Server
7. Start new Sun Messaging Server
8. Run imsrestore on new Sun Messaging Server (this process will take a long time; be patient!)
We are done! Simple right?
PS: imsrestore will take care of mailbox formatting if required. e.g. from x86 mailbox format to x64 mailbox format