Thursday, March 22, 2018

AliCloud ECS Web Hosting

I have been playing a bit of Tencent Cloud and Ali Cloud lately due to some projects in China. 




And I was experimenting how easy it is to host a sample web site on Ali Cloud. It should be a 5-mins job. It took longer for me last night.

I kept hitting into this error - "This site can't be reached".


I ssh into the server and found there wasn't any iptables enabled. The Apache HTTPd daemon was up and running. 

I just couldn't figure out why. I google for some clues.

Pretty good documentation here from Alibaba Cloud documentation team. (Yes, pretty surprised! The English was good.)

  • https://www.alibabacloud.com/getting-started/projects/deploy-and-host-a-wordpress-website
  • https://www.alibabacloud.com/help/doc-detail/27550.htm

The steps by steps were clear and concise. It made me look like a clown for not being able to make my sample website work!

I had no choice. I paid 1 year upfront, so I must get value out of it. I raised a support ticket and while I was waiting for a response, I came across a sub-menu "Security Groups". No harm taking a look.



Bingo! The "firewall" is not configured within the server via the iptables. It is to be configured via the ECS console.

I added a new rule to accept Inbound HTTP 80 traffic and that did the trick!




What's the point of documenting so much when the essential point is not covered?


.



No comments:

Post a Comment